Today,  I  evaled  a  man on home health who had a recent cardiac bypass
surgery.  He  was just home after 10 days in a rehab hospital getting OT
and PT.

During  my  eval,  I  explained what OT was all about. Thinking my words
were  falling  on  deaf  ears, one of my worst nightmares came true. The
patient had previously received OT. They explained that they already had
hand exercisers and a reachers and that they didn't need any more OT.

Now, this is a sad picture. The patient did need OT and I offered it but
they declined. Here are two reasons why:

        1.  Previous  OT's  demonstrated that OT was about strengthening
        hands and arms.

        2.  Home  health PT had already evaled the patient and THEY were
        providing what the patient needed.

Now, why would OT work on giving this man hand exercisers? That makes NO
sense  to  me  and  for the patient, OT has no apparent value for making
this  man  safe  and independent in his home. They felt that PT could do
this better than OT.

AND  THAT IS AN ALL TO OFTEN STATEMENT ABOUT OT! AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM
WITH OUR PROFESSION. IT'S NOT OUR NAME, IT'S THE THERAPISTS THAT ARE THE
PROBLEM.