From: lucy payne <lucy_payn...@live.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Why OT's Should NOT Focus on the UE
To: otlist@otnow.com
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 3:18 AM

Re: suction grab rails

When I worked in the community here in England we did not recommend the suction
cup grab rails as there were too many risks such as they could be re-positioned
in such a way as to cause more of a hinderance than a help and that they will
not take as much pressure/pull/push as a permanent grab rail.

Regards

Lucy

> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:20:57 -0400
> From: cmnahrw...@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [OTlist] Why OT's Should NOT Focus on the UE
>
> In this case I would practice both a walk in shower and bathtub shower
> combo transfers. I am sure he will have either or. When the apartment
> is finalized, schedule a home evaluation and make sure your
> recommendations are well known and documented. Sounds like he will
> need a heavy duty shower chair or a heavy duty transfer tub bench,
> professionally installed grab bars, hand held shower, non slip
> stickers, long handled bath sponge.
>
> That reminds me of a question that I had this morning. Has anyone had
> any luck with suction cup grab bars. I work in acute rehab and
> patients often want to order them for home, but I do not get to follow
> up with them after their DC to determine if they actually work. I
> think this may be a good question for the home heatlh OTs. I read in
> consumer reports that the person should not put significant weight
> through them, and to only use them for balance. I am wondering if I
> should recommend them at all

MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/