Can you further explain "1. Proper placement is critical". Are you talking about certain places found in fiberglass showers that are not a good idea to place, or are you talking about proper placement that will optimize the safety during the transfer? Are there some types of showers or tubs in which the suction cup grab bars will not work?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Carson <rdcar...@otnow.com>
To: cmnahrw...@aol.com <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Sent: Tue, Jul 14, 2009 8:46 am
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Why OT's Should NOT Focus on the UE

I  would NOT recommend them unless you are there to supervise their use.
On  the  other  hand, you may make patients aware of the device while at
the same time giving them precautions such as:

1. Proper placement is critical

2. Not designed to bear weight

3. Check before using

etc.

Also,  there  are  different quality suction devices. I always recommend
the most expensive devices.

I  like empowering patients to make informed decisions about devices. Be
it  a  walker  or  reacher,  I  try leaving the final decision up to the
patient/caregiver, if possible.