Dianne - RE: your CVA pt.
I work with client's like this quite regularly and there is heaps you
can do.  I feel that there is often a period post CVA almost like an
amnesiac state where pt's aren't very attentive in general.  It can last
for 6-8 weeks sometimes.  If you have a good medical team you could chat
to them about this side of things as some medications can perk people up
a bit out of this state. Also get them assess mood if you think that is
an issue.

The first thing I do with stroke pt's like this is to try and sort their
schedule to encourage periods of rest and activity, even if activity is
sitting in a chair for 15 mins, instead of lying in the bed. He will
need lots of rest for his brain to heal but needs to be encouraged to
refocus on the world too.  So get therapists to space out their
sessions.  So breakfast then rest, then shower then rest, then PT then
rest, then SLT then rest etc etc.

And I would arrange their room so their left side faces where people
approach from, this will encourage him to take note of that side.
Educate the client about their neglect and show them.  "See how you
can't see me but I'm here because you can hear me" and get their family
to approach and talk to them from that side.  I disagree with Ron in
that I've seen people make huge recovery in terms of left neglect,
partly through brain fixing itself and partly through compensation.
Google the Lighthouse Strategy for later treatment approaches.

And protect that shoulder with some positioning charts, education of
nurses and family and get someone (an assistant) to do daily stretches.

Once you've arranged their environment, given some education and sorted
their daily schedule out you can begin in earnest.

Treating all stroke clients should always be hierarchical.  You need to
have a look at the client's vision first and try and ascertain what
their visual fields, acuity and perception are.  If they can't see they
won't attend.  Then you want to assess attention - you can get some
simple attention screens off the internet.  If the client can't attend
then they will have difficulty learning any new skill and you should
work on attention. By this I don't mean left inattention but their
overall ability to attend cognitively.

I'd also do a general cognitive assessment to get a baseline too.
Do an ADL assessment.  See them in the shower and get them to do as much
as they can. I find that often these clients get to me and no-one has
even asked them to attempt to wash themselves, so they are fully D.  Yes
they are very disabled but I don't think I've seen anyone who can't wash
their face, weak arm, thighs, tummy etc with their good hand with
prompting. Most people can brush their teeth, comb their hair, help with
dressing.  They will like that they are being asked to do it.
Concentrate on what they can do and feed this back to them.  Then I'd
start seeing them for showering a couple of times a week if I had the
time or get an assistant to do it - working on improving their I with
this.  Often people really perk up when they realise someone is asking
them to do something and believes that they can do it. No-one wants to
be fully D for personal cares.

In the meantime PT should be working on their transfers, trunk and
sitting balance etc. As they make improvements there challenge them more
in ADL's.

That should keep you going for a while, sorry for the novel!!

Angela

Message: 14