From: Kathleen Pyne <kathleenp...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:50:45
To: <otlist@otnow.com>
Subject: [OTlist] Fwd: hygiene issues related to sensory processing-
        handling with care and dignity

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kathleen Pyne <kathleenp...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Subject: hygiene issues related to sensory processing- handling with care
and dignity
To: otlist-requ...@otnow.com

Hello,
I am looking for others who have had experience working with kids who have
often don't wipe effectively or may be a little late getting to the bathroom
with #2.   I have already considered and communicated to parents aspects
related to sensory processing and low tone that may affect bowel control.
These include effective signaling, and interpretation of/ response to body
signals, as well as motor control.

However, the more persistent issue is often effective wiping.  Now there is
a possibility that there is some leakage during or after wiping, but I want
to focus on wiping itself.  I am dealing with boys, some approaching teens
(I am female) for whom I am treading lightly. I have worked with boys with
spina bifida in a hospital setting, where it was appropriate to practice
this technique directly, but now I am working in an outpatient clinic where
it is not appropriate to deal with this directly.   I have done consultation
with parents- use of mirror, teaching the same simply sequenced technique,
etc. The boys are at an age where it is tricky even for them to deal with
this issue with their children.

 Does anyone have any other ideas or resources for the motor planning/body
awareness piece that could be carried out in the clinic without
embarrassment?  With treatment for general body awareness, there has been
slight improvement, but I'd like to go further.

Thank you for any ideas!