I am working in a school district where we provide ‘hands-on’ consultation.
I work with a student to see which intervention strategies
(accommodations/modifications) will work best and then education teachers on
how to use and follow through with the recommendations.  I recently
completed an eval on a student for handwriting legibility (per mom).  I
recommended acc/mods for home & school and provided some strengthening
activities that could be incorporated into the natural context of his school
day.  Unfortunately, but mom was not satisfied with these recommendations.
She wants us to work on hand strengthening (like in the a clinic) setting so
his hand doesn’t get tired when he writes (He’s in 3rd grade now).  No
matter how I explain how services are better provided in the context of the
classroom and how the acc/mods will allow him to participate in his
education, she is not satisfied.  She doesn’t want him to depend on the
acc/mods, which she thinks will result in decreased hand strength and
therefore illegible handwriting.  Does anyone know of any research regarding
the efficacy, or lack thereof, of hand strengthening exercises and improved
hand writing; or of the benefits of a consultation model rather than an
direct, pull-out model in school systems?  Any info will be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Renée L., OTR/L