On Jan 21, 2005, at 8:19, Luca Bortot wrote:
Helge Hess wrote:
Well, and the only connector for the Exchange protocol is the Exchange connector from MS which is AFAIK licensed with the Exchange CAL.
I was sure it wasn't because it is included in the Office package, not Exchange.

I'm not 100% sure either, one would need to check this in detail. But even if it is currently licensed with Office (which version/which Office bundle/...) and licensed to be used against any server, not just Exchange, Microsoft could change that any day and render all work useless.

On the plus side, Charles pointed out that for people who just want to _replace_ Exchange, this might be less an issue because they already own the proper licenses.
(unless the Exchange SP is licensed for use against Exchange only)

Of course all the above might even depend on the country you live in. Eg some restrictions MS makes might not apply to you.

If true, it's really a "plus" on the connector side

IMHO a storage/transport provider is a much better "level" to attack the issue for various reasons.

Another one is that the protocol used by Exchange has several drawbacks. Didn't you mention that you need it for an ISP and need to host major numbers of clients? I think HTTP is much more appropriate for such setups (there is certainly a reason why Microsoft uses WebDAV to connect its HotMail servers and NOT Exchange protocol).

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/