> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> I haven't looked into the SapiMapi subproject too much, but it looks
>> like
>> it is basically intended for similar purposes.
>
> SapiMapi is a testing utility put together to analyse
> Mapi objects and properties in memory.  I couldn't use
> OutSpy because it relied on Outlook properly loading
> the Mapi plugin before it can do anything.  That's a
> problem if the plugin has not got to that point yet.

Yes, I know of that problem as well :)

> I haven't seen any open-source Mapi inspectors yet.

Are you familiar with the message store viewer from Microsoft? I wouldn't
call it open-source, but I do have source code for a version of it.
Unfortunately, due to M$ licensing, I don't think I can publicly
redistribute the sample source code. Ugh. Perhaps I can dig up the
location of it.

I found the message store viewer from Microsoft to be helpful for calling
one MAPI function at a time. Very helpful when the message store is
crashing Outlook (yes, I admit to having caused this to happen more than a
few times).

With the source code, you can put a breakpoint in the Message Store
viewer, have it just load the message store, then put a breakpoint in the
message store code itself, then actually step through the message store
code. A madenning process without any code at all from a message store
viewer. Prior to finding the Message Store viewer source code, I started
constructing my own sample MAPI client primarily for debugging purposes.

Speaking of debugging, were you ever able to locate a debug version of the
MAPI DLLs?

Oh, and I do agree that there are very few GPL or LGPL MAPI tools
available, present company excluded of course :)

> I also needed something that can do scripted testcases
> and something that can easily be installed by users.
> For example, we can ask someone to install SapiMapi then
> run some stock data retrivial scripts for diagnosis.

Sounds quite useful. I ran into a situation where someone told me a MAPI
service provider didn't work, only to find out that it was never
installed. Very frustrating...

> I big issue is displaying objects for inspection during
> debugging.  If, say, a table you are returning to
> MAPI is crashing Outlook, then you need to inspect
> that table to see if any data is off or missing.
> Since most Mapi browsing programs work *through* Mapi,
> that is hard to do.  Sapimapi has a client-side library
> routines that serialize the Mapi properties and tables
> in XML and sends them via a shared memory segment.

Very cool indeed. Much better than the simple logging I was doing to
gather similar information.

> -
> Kervin

Regards,