Maybe this has something to do with the problem.

When testing DBD::mysql, the module fails all tests, I googled around for a
bit to see if other people had this problem. I found some posts but none with
any information or clues to point me in the right direction.

This is the output for most of the tests run for this module
Cannot connect: Unknown database 'test'
        Either your server is not up and running or you have no
        permissions for acessing the DSN DBI:mysql:test.
        This test requires a running server and write permissions.
        Please make sure your server is running and you have
        permissions, then retry.

I have checked the permissions, I'm even running the mysqld with
--skip-grant-tables so anyone could read/write to the server. Has anyone had
a similar problem?