On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Wes Plate wrote:
> Because the OTRS preferred ticket number format is just too long for our
> needs, I've gone to AutoIncrement.  This is better, but still too long and
> I'd like to have letters in the number.
>
> Right now my ticket number appears like this:
>
> > [Ticket#: 1000004] RE: Hi there
>

> I would like it to appear like this:
>
> > [Ticket#: AD004] RE: Hi there
>
> So the number would Auto-Increment, but there would be the letters AD at the
> beginning of the short 3-digit number.
>
> I would like it even more if the numbers included letters in the counting
> scheme.  That would allow more tickets and even shorter ticket numbers.
>

> Would it be easy to change "[Ticket#:" to be shorter as well?  Maybe make it
> say something like:
>
> > [Tkt#: AD004] RE: Hi there
> Or
> > [Tkt# AD004] RE: Hi there

This is possible from the site configuration utilities... our tickets use
BFP- as their leader.  We're in a similar position ticket-id-length-wise,
in that we'd like to see a date-based autoincrement which is similar to
what we've always created manually.  (Eg: 20030322A1, 20030322A2 ...
20030322C9, etc.)  I just haven't gotten around to exploring the code yet.

Another feature that I'm looking for is something that can strip the
ticket ID out of an incoming message and then auto-close a ticket.
Background:  We receive 5 spam messages for each real support request.  We
already set the From: header to a -bounces address which keeps our inbound
queue from filling up with mailer-daemon failures.  What we'd like to do
is to set up a script at the end of that -bounces address which would
strip ticket ID's out of the returned message and then put them into a
queue that auto-closes them.

The net result is that suspected spam... ie: mail which comes from an
address that is undeliverable... would be in a box that we could visually
screen once/twice each day, letting everything else auto-close.  This is
better than the current alternative of having ot manually close each one
of these spam-induced tickets.

We're prepared to code such a tool, we just haven't gotten around to it
yet.  Has anyone tried this?

-CA