Hi Wes,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:54:28PM -0800, Wes Plate wrote:
> Maybe it is a coincidence, but a customer replied with a followup to a
> ticket, and their reply contained three attachments of sizes 1MB, 253KB and
> 97KB.
>
> I received notification of the followup, but also this report from CRON:
>
> http://66.14.134.209/~wes/otrs/error_message_1.txt
>
> Every four minutes (CRON checks mail every four minutes) I would get another
> notification, and another report.  It seemed that CRON was getting the same
> followup message-- like it wasn't deleting the message from the server after
> downloading it.
>
> Also, the attachments were not available it OTRS.
>
> So, I set my email client up with the OTRS mail account and I retrieved the
> message and the attachments.
>
> Did the attachments kill OTRS?  I was able to create another ticket as a
> test, but is there something seriously wrong now?

Not the OTRS, but the attachment killed the database. You need to set your
mysql "max_allowed_packet" size up to ~ 8 MB.

There are two TicketStorageModule in OTRS.

Kernel::System::Ticket::ArticleStorageDB:
Is default, store attachments and co into the database.

Pro: If your webserver user isn't the otrs user, use this module to have no
file permission problems.

Contra: It's not really nice to store attachments in your database. Take
care that your database is able to store large objects. E. g. MySQL (config)
"set-variable = max_allowed_packet=8M" to store 8 MB objects (default is 2M).

Kernel::System::Ticket::ArticleStorageFS:
Store attachments and co in local file system.

Note: Use it for larger setups.

Pro: Faster!

Contra: Your webserver user should be the otrs user (file system permissions!).

See also:
http://otrs.org/pages/index.pl?Action=Ext&Site=Docu-CVS/performance-tuning.html#PERFORMANCE-TUNING-OTRS

> Wes Plate

  Martin