At 10/26/04 10:06 PM, Robert Kehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Robert L Mathews schrieb:
>> (The same goes for bug 518: OTRS is almost unusable with PostgreSQL as
>> the backend with a large number of tickets, so I submitted a patch that
>> fixes the schema to speed up OTRS dramatically and make OTRS work
>> properly. But the patch appears to be languishing and is in danger of
>> getting out of date so that it doesn't apply cleanly any more.)
>
>ACK, ACK, ACK!
>
>When it comes to a few 1000 tickets, a PostgreSQL database is merely not
>usable anymore due to the schema used. I changed my schema without a
>problem the last days and am experiencing a great improvement in
>queriying the db. Durations of the queries are lowered to a third in
>general, at least for the cost-intensive ones.
>
>[kind words snipped]
>
>Additionally OTRS should provide a
>script to convert an existing PG database to a new, 'integered' version.

If the patch is accepted to change the schema, I will gladly provide a
script that can be used to alter the existing database in place, speeding
up existing PostgreSQL installations dramatically.

(In my case -- now at about 70,000 tickets in the system -- the changes
sped up the "show me my [small number of] locked tickets" view almost
20-fold, from about ten seconds to about half a second.)

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies      http://www.tigertech.net/
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."