Hello.

I am a novice at an install like OTRS. I've installed other programs but this one has me stumped.

I'm on a shared hosted (virtual) account with the following setup:

Linux Red Hat Enterprise 3 v.8; Apache 1.3.33; MySQL 4.0.22-standard; Perl 5.8.0

I have root & shell access but cannot modify webserver files, nor can I have file ownership as webserver apache, etc. I have owner and group under my account. The hosted server has the following installed: mod_perl, sendmail, GD installed and NOT LDAP.

Can I install OTRS with this setup and on this shared host server? I really hope so.

So far, I tried the tar'd version, but became confused in the File Permission step 7: didn't know in the Red Hat example (SetPermissions.sh /opt/otrs otrs apache apache apache) what values to use as is and which values to revise, especially since I can't use 'webserver' permission; I can only use my account info for owner/group. Also, I didn't see how the install progressed from /opt/otrs to /otrs without the 'opt' subdir (Step 8 & beyond no longer referred to the 'opt' subdir). Is it something that is done during the SetPermissions.sh script?

I also tried to use the Linux rpm file, but it said it could find 'sendmail' nor 'mod_perl' dependencies, even though they exist. I ran the command, 'rpm -ivh /tmp/otrs.rpm' found on the SUSE instructions since I couldn't find instructions for the Linux rpm file. I do, however, admit I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing here and have never used an 'rpm' distribution before.

Again, I'd really like to be able to install this application on this server so I can encourage my clients to use OTRS, also. I believe it could be really great!

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance.