Have you reviewed the apache config file?  There are several settings for
the number of processes to start by default, number of spare servers, etc.

I think this may also be related to the way perl is used.  IIRC a lot of
perl code is loaded in RAM depending on the way OTRS is used as well?  I'm
sure someone can clarify that.

- Pete McDonnell