Hello!

        In my case I don't need external backup (yet), so I use two servers
(one P4 1.5
Mhz and one P3 866Mhz, both with 320Mb, very basic hardware). Both are
configured
in High Availability with heartbeat + DRBD. This servers don't have any other
service
yet.

        Very basically, they share a partition called /HA, and I have symlinked
/usr/share/otrs to /HA/otrs and there's also a symlink in /var/lib/mysql to
/HA/mysql so
that mysql DB's are replicated. The also share a floating IP used to access to
OTRS.
Apache virtual host is also shared, otrs crontabs too, etc... Both servers are
updated at
the same time (Debian apt-get ;) to make them virtually identical, at least in
software.

        If my main server (P4) goes down, heartbeat takes care of it, and
starts the
services (drbd, mysql, apache2) in my backup server (P3). It takes a bit more
than 3
minutes to have all the services completely restored (I'm using a custom
apache2-perl-
startup.pl to "compile" OTRS at startup time, the app is a LOT faster this way
but it
takes about 2:40 minutes to startup!!). On the other hand, I have a sligthly
modified
version of the backup script included with OTRS, adding more files (Crontabs,
apache
configs, article directory, the whole Kernel dir...). Those backups are copied
via scp
once a week to an external server, so I'll have something if I lose completely
my servers
(stolen, burned, fried or crushed by Godzilla XD).

        It's a flexible setup, that allows me to run the application on one
server while
putting the other in maintenance, with very low impact in the service, even in
case of
hardware failure. Something like "application and data RAID 1 over the network"
;)

        Regards,

On 5 Apr 2005 at 12:14, Cainkar, Paul wrote:

> What methods do you have in place for a complete backup and disaster
> recovery of an OTRS system? What is the preferred method to backing up
> the system both in circumstances with and without a tape drive in the
> machine itself? If the user who ultimately might have to restore your
> system is not a native Linux user, but does use Unix for other
> systems, would you recommend anything different?
>
> It would appear the obvious solution would be a mysql dump and
> grabbing the Config.pm file, but there must be more to it than that,
> including a more transparent solution from disaster to recovery.
>
> Thank you!

---
Victor R. Rodriguez
Departamento de Sistemas