Hello,

        There are some differences if you hadle sessions via IPC, FS or DB. The
first
one is possibly the fastest, as everything is in memory. FS is a bit slower
(uses the
harddisk) and DB is the slowest (but I suppose that it has any benefits over
the other
two ;) , but both allow you to maintain session states if your server goes
down, allowing
me to set it in a HA cluster.

        Regards,

On 21 Apr 2005 at 10:35, s taylor wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I'm using the 'Timezone' parameter from 'Defaults.pm' because the
> webserver I'm installing this on has it's local time set to GMT+0 365
> days per year. The webserver administrator's reasoning is, "it allows
> all clients located all over the world to remain unaffected by
> daylight savings in other countries.  Any programs you have should be
> designed with an offset, so that you can alter the timezone to suit
> your location's timezone."
>
> The result is the time displayed on the OTRS screens is currently
> ahead by 4 hours relative to the US Eastern Daylight Savings time.  In
> order to display EDT, the Timezone offset parameter in Defaults.pm (or
> Config.pm) must be set to '-4'.
>
> The problem with this is, it causes 'sub CheckSessionID' in
> 'Kernel::System::AuthSession::IPC' to test 'true' always, thus
> preventing login by all (admin, agents, and customers).  This would
> also be the case when time goes back to Eastern Standard Time in the
> Fall, whereby the offset would be set to '-5'.  For those in the
> Pacific timezone, this offset is even 'more negative' relative to
> GMT+0.
>
> In order for the 'CheckSessionID' subroutine to work in the US for all
> OTRS users when webservers are set to GMT+0 (which is occurring more
> and more), that calculation has to render 'false' in order to login.
>
> I'll look into 'FS' for sessions, but I haven't seen much info on what
> it is all about.  I'd like to know why 'IPC' was chosen over 'FS' as
> 'default' in 'Defaults.pm' and whether it's because there may be a
> disadvantage to using 'FS' or whether it's webserver-configuration
> dependent.  If you know, please let me know.
>
> I can then modify the displayed time in OTRS to display the time on
> OTRS screens to the eastern time zone. I'd have to look at the trying
> to get the tickets' time when submitted to display the eastern time
> zone versus again, GMT+0.
>
> Again, thanks for your response.

---
Victor R. Rodriguez