Christian,
Thanks for all your help.  I appreciate the effort you put into this list.

I hadn't seen the option in the Defaults.pm, but I see it now.  Here
is my section:

   # default compose follow up next state
    $Self->{CustomerPanelDefaultNextComposeType} = 'open';
    $Self->{CustomerPanelNextComposeState} = 1;
    # next possible states for compose message
    $Self->{CustomerPanelDefaultNextComposeStateType} = ['open', 'closed'];

I haven't overridden any of these in my Config.pm.
I just tried changing the last option to ['open']; and that made the
"Next state: dropdown only list Open, which is what I was after.

But now I don't understand what the  ['open', 'closed']; actually
means:  I had assumed that it meant if the ticket is open, the next
default should be closed, but if it is something like new the next
default state would be 'open' .  But what I am seeing is that even
when the state is new, the next default is closed...

(I hope that made sense...)