On 9/11/05, Jason Lixfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm running a CVS installation from July 15th.  I think it's around
> the time of 2.0.0 beta5.  I'd like to upgrade to the current release
> (2.0.2 source) but I'm not sure what the best practice is for doing so.

A bit late, but a reply. :)

When I upgrade I do the following:

- read the release notes (<ahem>)
- move the old ./otrs directory to ./otrs.old
- extract the new tarball to ./otrs
- cd otrs.old; tar cf - var | (cd ../otrs; tar xpf -)
- copy otrs.old/Kernel/Config.pm to otrs/Kernel
- copy otrs.old/Kernel/Config/GenericAgent.pm to otrs/Kernel/Config
- ditto for any other changed config files (I only have those two)
- apply any db updates that are needed
- report any bugs ;)

That's been my working method for upgrading since v0.5.

You especially need to copy the entire var directory if you're using
*or have at any time used* ArticleStorageFS, because that's where the
articles live by default. If you've only ever used ArticleStorageDB,
which is the default now, then they'll be in your DB and you don't
have to worry about moving them.

Bryan