Thanks for your response. I also just found this
option, in Default.pm and moved it to Config.pm.
The change i made was::

#For ticket ID's::
$Self->{'Ticket::NumberGenerator'} =
'Kernel::System::Ticket::Number::AutoIncrement';
# further config option for
Kernel::System::Ticket::Number::AutoIncrement
    # (min ticket counter size)
    $Self->{'Ticket::NumberGenerator::MinCounterSize'}
= 3;

This works, getting short (5 digits total) ticket
number.

_Thanks

Richard