Many thanks Maurice for taking the time to do this.
However it is still not possible to customise the state change for
tickets which are closed
without changing the notification for tickets which are set to pending.

It may often be desirable to notify the customer:-

"Now your ticket is closed, if you have further problems please call
us back on 123456
or alternately email us at [EMAIL PROTECTED], please keep a note of
this ticket/id number for future reference etc etc"

OR

"Your ticket has been set to state pending whilst we investigate this
problem further, please check your email soon as we may need to
contact you for further information, balh blah"

I have filed a bug/feature request for this.

Thanks
Mike