Hmm that's weird. We run multiple OTRS installs on a shared webhost without a problem. OTRS is a web application which runs when requested, not a daemon running all the time. It definitely doesn't bind to a port. I think your hosting provider needs to check again.

Richard

Simon Bierbaum wrote:
Hello all,

I have OTRS 2.2.1 installed on a shared webhost. The provider now claims that bin/cgi-bin/index.pl binds to a port and goes on about how I'm not supposed to run any "server software like IRC, game servers or daemons". Does anyone know why OTRS would bind to any port, and how I can disable it? My understanding is that OTRS would not need to bind to any port to listen for connections...