Just FYI we're using OTRS on three separate virtual shared servers no problem. No modifications to the code at all to handle it, just out of the box installation.

You don't need to modify the apache configuration (that I can see anyway) and you certainly don't need mod_perl. (and if you have high enough load to need mod_perl then you're going to want a dedicated system anyway)