At our company we use the queues to do this.  You can create sub-queues as
well, and if you have agents that don't have skill/expertise in a particular
area, then they can deselect that queue as one of their 'My Queues' so that
they can focus on just the tickets that they can be of help on.

You can create multiple levels of subqueues, as you describe.

Josh Scott
Systems Support Manager
SourceDirect.com