Lars Jørgensen wrote:

Now I've tried it a bit and it's cumbersome (or I'm doing it wrong).

If I want to split out a new child ticket from the current ticket, i
click "split" on the ticket (in the bottom right). This creates a
new ticket but it is not linked to the original ticket. I have to
manually link it to the parent ticket. This requires me to either
have very good memory or write down the ticket number of the parent
ticket and link it.

You don't need to split the ticket. You can just create a new ticket
when you need to communicate with a third party and then link that
ticket as a child to the original ticket. You don't need to memorize
or write down any numbers, you can search for tickets after clicking
the Link link.

If I close the parent ticket, the child stays open, which is
confusing.

Sometimes you may want to close the parent ticket while keeping the
child ticket open or vice versa. You close a ticket when the
conversation has ended. Conversations in linked tickets doesn't
necessarily end at the same time (although they may do in your case).

If I have to reference content from the parent ticket in the child
ticket, I have to copy and paste between tickets. If I want to
forward a user's question to a third party it gets annoyingly
difficult.

Usually we need to rephrase questions anyway when forwarding them to
third parties. Plus copy-paste is not that hard. But it might be less
of a problem for us then it is for you as we're not dealing with third
parties on tickets that often.

Is it supposed to work this way or am I misunderstanding?

It's mostly supposed to work this way. There are a lot of ways people
will want to use a ticket system and OTRS can accomodate a lot of
them. This generic approach might mean that not everything is
optimized for your usage pattern.

Nils Breunese.