From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Beckman
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 3:32 PM
To: User questions and discussions about OTRS.org
Subject: Re: [otrs] Exploring OTRS

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Aaron Spurlock wrote:

> Yeah, I find it is kind of difficult to express what I mean. John goes to
> Widgets Inc. John's scheduled appt is 2 hours, but due to varying
> circumstances, may end up there longer, which is why we need to track
> time, so we can bill the overage time.

  I don't think OTRS is built to be a time tracking and billing system.
  Sure, there is rudimentary support for this using Time/work units, but it
  is not designed to do what you say: have an agent log in, and track the
  time from login to logout, or click to click, and have all tickets touched
  during that time reported as part of his/her day.

  The problem comes in where you have a single agent working for multiple
  companies at the same time.  What if John is working on site, and during
  that time he takes a call, and works on another ticket that is for "UPS,
  Inc"?  Does John need to stop what he's doing, log out of OTRS for that
  company, log into OTRS for another company, then deal with the ticket?
  Then log out and log back in again to get back to his on-site job?

  While you CAN do this, I doubt OTRS development will take this track.  Why
  don't you just use an existing time tracker, then with a block of time ID,
  you can put into the ticket that block ID.  Then you can search by blockID
  and see what tickets were associated with that block (freetext field).

  There are better time tracking systems out there.

Beckman