The very best way to achieve this is to set up a separate test environment.
You did not specify what kind of testing you want to perform; but generally
you should separate testing and production activities if possible.

One of the benefits of using open source software is that no one is going to
bill you for licenses for an extra test or development environment;
depending on the software you use this can be tens of thousands of dollars.
If you want to set up a small development/testing environment you can run
OTRS on your laptop if there is no other hardware available; it does not
require a lot of resources so this is a viable alternative.

Kind regards,
--
Michiel Beijen
Software Consultant