Hi, all.

This is my first message to the list.

I'm testing OTRS 2.4.0 beta 1 because the release history tells that it
supports secure SMTP for outgoing mails, an excellent feature missing in
previous versions.

I want to know if this feature is working correctly because I cannot make
OTRS sends an email using GMail SMTP (smtp.gmail.com) at port 587 as it
works for me using Thunderbird as mail client.

Every time I tried to send an email I get the error:

Message: Can't connect to smtp.gmail.com: !

Traceback (4695):
   Module: Kernel::System::Email::SMTPS::Send (v1.1) Line: 92
   Module: Kernel::System::Email::Send (v1.61) Line: 677
   Module: Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::ArticleSend (v1.215) Line: 2018
   Module: Kernel::Modules::AgentTicketCompose::Run (v1.66) Line: 418
   Module: Kernel::System::Web::InterfaceAgent::Run (v1.42) Line: 826
   Module: /opt/otrs/bin/cgi-bin/index.pl (v1.88) Line: 48

I'm not an expert with Perl but is not a difficult language to understand so
I read the file SMTPS.pm and I found that at line 92 the system tries to
establish the connection with the secure SMTP server and there is when it
fails.

For testing purpose, I tried to replace all the information from Gmail
server with my ISP's SMTP server which works at port 25 and it's an standard
SMTP. I left the option SMTPS although my ISP's server is not secure hoping
getting an error of authentication, but that didn't happen. With this test
the error I described was the same, except for the SMTP server address.

I've got all needed Perl modules installed in my openSUSE 11.1, because OTRS
can successfully retrieve emails from Gmail POP3S to create tickets.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone that can give me a hint.

Regards from Argentina.

          Santiago