Hi Arlene,

You did not specify what character set your database uses, and what
character set you have configured for OTRS for the Web interface. If your
database does not have characters for those used in the email from the
GB2312 it will use replacement characters; which will probably look as
'garbage' to you....

You can use the Support package (Admin > Support Assesment) to determine the
character set used in the database. The character set used by the web
interface can be found under Admin > Sysconfig > Core > DefaultCharset. If
you expect to receive mails in multiple encodings you probably want to use
utf-8 as the character set.

Kind regards,
--
Michiel Beijen