We had this problem as well,  and we fixed it, we had to update the FreeTDS to
the latest version or you could go with easysoft but the license is 1500$ Can,
FreedTDS is free.  I know your heartache so hope this helps, it’s worked
flawless since.  If you have any problems let me know.

We are using:

OTRS 2.4.1 but had it working on beta 4 and 5 as well

 unixODBC

FreeTDS for our ODBC driver

Sql Server 2005

Here is the odbc.ini file we use

[otrs]

Driver          = TDS SQL Server

Description             = OTRS

User            = otrs

Password        = [your password for the sql db you specified for the otrs
login]

Trace           = Yes

Database        = otrs

TraceFile               = /tmp/sql.log

ForceTrace              = Yes

Server          = [your server address]

Port            = 1433

TDS Version             = 8.0

Database                = otrs

Here is a snippet from my config file

# DatabaseHost

    # (The database host.)

    $Self->{DatabaseHost} = '[IP or name to your Database]';

    # Database

    # (The database name.)

    $Self->{Database} = 'otrs';

    # DatabaseUser

    # (The database user.)

    $Self->{DatabaseUser} = 'otrs';

    # DatabasePw

    # (The password of database user. You also can use bin/CryptPassword.pl

    # for crypted passwords.)

    $Self->{DatabasePw} = '[password to sql server for user otrs]';

    # DatabaseDSN

       $Self->{"Database::Type"} = 'mssql';

    $Self->{DatabaseDSN} = "DBI:ODBC:otrs";

    $Self->{DatabaseUserTable} = 'users';

    $Self->{DatabaseUserTableUserID} = 'id';

    $Self->{DatabaseUserTableUserPW} = 'pw';

    $Self->{DatabaseUserTableUser} = 'login';

    # (The database DSN for PostgreSQL ==> more: "man DBD::Pg")

    # if you want to use a local socket connection

#    $Self->{DatabaseDSN} = "DBI:Pg:dbname=$Self->{Database};";

    # if you want to use a tcpip connection

#    $Self->{DatabaseDSN} =
"DBI:Pg:dbname=$Self->{Database};host=$Self->{DatabaseHost};";