Hi Tony,

First of all, let me state that I understand your issues with using cpan
versus your systems package manager. I also prefer to be 100% RPM, or DEB if
that is your poison.

Would it help you if we'd create RPMs for the perl modules that are not
available? Internally, we have discussed this before, it is a lot of work to
maintain though. We'd have similar issues with Ubuntu 9.04 and 8.10, that
ship a version of PDF::API2 that is broken. There's no easy way to get
around that without using CPAN, or jumping through hoops to install a
package from 9.10 or 8.04, that does not have the issue.

I might have an alternative for you. For convenience, we ship some pure-perl
modules (those are architecture independent) in otrs/Kernel/cpan-lib. Files
in this directory are added to the @INC in perl, and are chosen by OTRS over
any existing modules installed on your system, but they wouldn't affect any
other Perl app running on your system.
In the next release (2.5.x) we have decided to add CGI.pm there, too, just
so we know that the CGI version on all OTRS's would be the same.

You also might want to add CGI.pm to Kernel/cpan-lib - this would not
interfere with your system's package manager but does provide OTRS with an
up-to-date version. You can download the file from our source control
system:
http://source.otrs.org/viewvc.cgi/otrs/Kernel/cpan-lib/CGI.pm?revision=1.19&view=markup
Because CGI does not adhere to the default My::Module format used by most
Perl modules, CGI.pm should go right in the cpan-lib directory.

Hope this helps for you, and please give us your feedback.

((enjoy))
-
Michiel Beijen
R&D

OTRS AG
Norsk-Data-Str 1.
61352 Bad Homburg
Deutschland

T: +31 (0) 6457 42418
F: +49 (0) 9421 56818-18
I:  http://www.otrs.com/

Business Location: Bad Homburg, Country Court: Bad Homburg, Commercial
register: 10751, Tax ID: 003 240
97505 Chairman of the Board: Burchard Steinbild, Managing Board: André
Mindermann (CEO), Martin Edenhofer

CU@ IIR Service Desk Forum in Mainz
(Germany)<http://www.otrs.com/en/news-and-press/news-details/article/translate-to-english-otrs-at-the-13th-iir-service-desk-forum-2009/?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=51&cHash=ef91fa143e>and
get to know more about OTRS  at booth no. 12 from Nov 24-25, 2009!