From: marko.erja...@gov.si [mailto:marko.erja...@gov.si]
Sent: Monday, 4 January 2010 7:03 AM
To: James Morgan; otrs@otrs.org
Subject: [otrs] Postmaster Filter - rewrite subject line?

Hi James,

I have the exact same problem that you already solved. I'm some kind of
newbe in OTRS and based on your response to Richard, I decided to
install
OTRS and try the solution.
Would you be please so kind and share the solution with this mailing
list?

Best regards,

Marko

Hi Richard,

I had the same problem when using OTRS against one of our partner's RT
systems.  Our OTRS email address is actually registered as an agent in
RT, so we get a copy of everything noted on tickets, and sent/received
from customers.  The only problem with this is that they come through
with RT's subject line headers, rather than a reference to the OTRS
ticket number - since they never actually write directly to OTRS.

I wrote a script that the mail gets piped through (from Sendmail) before
it gets to the Postmaster script.  That script checks the subject line
for the RT ticket number and then checks the OTRS ticket table for that
RT number in one of the TicketFreeText fields and then if it finds one
modifies the subject line to include the ticket number it found that RT
number in the TicketFreeText of.  If not, it doesn't modify the subject
allowing a new ticket to be created.  The beauty of this system is that
it means I'll only ever have one OTRS ticket per RT ticket.  It also
seems to handle merged OTRS tickets of multiple RT tickets just fine
which is a bonus.

While it's at it, it changes the ticket type to customer-email-internal
for RT notes and email-external for emails they send out.  Pretty cool.

I hope this solution might help you get where you want to be.

James.