From: McCarroll, Robert
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 7:32 AM
To: 'otrs@otrs.org'
Subject: Performance issue with multiple customer backends

  First off, thanks to Phillippe Martignier for answering my previous
question.

  Having configured OTRS to work with one Oracle backend, we recently
added a read-only view for the development version of our user database
which contains a modest number of test users (1.5 Million records) and
restricted the interface to searching only on Customer ID.  However,
we've noted that requests for customer user data now take 1.5 minutes to
complete whereas a SQL statement for the same logical search ( SELECT *
FROM customer_user WHERE customer_id IS LIKE '*Search String Entered*';
) returns within a second of issuing the query.
  While investigating this issue we determined that OTRS was nowhere
near taxing the available resources of the webserver, the network or the
database during this time.  We also determined that it communicated with
the database server in short but dense bursts at intervals of ten to
fifteen seconds while processing the request.  It does not appear to
matter which database the customer user ultimately gets found in, nor
how much history the user has.  Our test have recorded the process as
taking anywhere from one to three minutes, averaging a minute and a
half.
  Can anyone help me narrow down what might be causing this slowdown and
suggest a way to alleviate it?

Robert McCarroll
Systems Administration
NYS Department of Civil Service