On 1/20/11 5:50 PM, "Nils Leideck" <nils.leid...@leidex.net> wrote:

> , the OTRS DEBIAN package is totally DEBIAN-ished and not just a ³let it
>try out² version! Of course, there are DEBIAN specific issues/differences
>compared to the standard OTRS, but that is not too bad as it just helps
>to keep the DEBIAN way of file organization.

One wish: please fix the Debian package so that if we do the change
documented to allow the OTRS package manager to function correctly, that
the packages actually work. Previous versions of the "Debian-ized" OTRS
package caused enormous problems with the OTRS package manager, which
makes using the ITSM features an enormous PITA.

Also, a comment: installing from source outside the packaging system (ANY
packaging system, rpm/deb/SMP/E/whatever) pretty much renders a tool not
viable in a enterprise setting. You lose the ability to do release
management in any useful way at scale. Not a good idea to recommend such
-- we need to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if OTRS is built using a build system like cmake? It
might be interesting to look into that; that would provide the ability to
automatically build RPM, DEB, Solaris pkgadd, and AIX installp packages as
part of the build system.