> DNS and name resolution on the host is working fine ?

I had a similar issue also related to DNS, but not that obvious.

Some months ago, I reconfigured the whole internal network at one site to use
IPv6, including DNS. All internal servers have an IPv6 record (AAAA) in DNS as
well as an IPv4 record (A).

Unfortunately, I forgot to tell the OTRS web server instance to talk IPv6 as
well (it doesn't by default), so clients connecting to the server got an IPv6
address for the host name, tried that, ran into a timeout and tried the IPv4
record next, which of course worked.

The result was exactly what the TO is experiencing: Extremely slow operation of
OTRS on an apparently mostly idle server.

If this could be the reason, the TO should try the following commands (provided
he's on an Unixoid OS, such as Linux or Mac OS X - don't know about the related
commands in Windows):

  $ dig otrs.server.name AAAA
  $ telnet -6 otrs.server.name 80

If the first commmand returns an IPv6 address and the second fails with a
timeout, the reason for the slowness is probably incorrect IPv6 rollout.

Best regards,

  Peter.