Greetings:

This isn't a how-to technical question.  I'm just interested in how others
are using OTRS.

We are a small IT company and until recently we were running OTRS 2.47 with
ITSM on an Amazon EC2 Small instance.  We replaced a commercial helpdesk
system which used the JBOSS stack on a Windows box about a year and a half
ago with OTRS 2.47.  The old helpdesk was ugly, buggy and barely ran.  OTRS
did everything we wanted and reduced our costs because a Linux instance was
less expensive.  We were very happy and have never thought about turning
back.

Recently Amazon had a hiccup with their EBS storage and I took advantage of
that hiccup to go ahead and upgrade OTRS.  Provisioned an Ubuntu VM on an
internal server, installed OTRS 2.47 with ITSM and uploaded our database to
it, then upgraded to OTRS 3.0.11 using source.

I provisioned one of the new low-cost EC2 Micro instances using a Canonical
Ubuntu 10.04LTS image, then installed 3.0.11 from source, then uploaded the
upgraded database from our internal server and pointed the OTRS
installation to the new database..  The Micro instance gives us a dedicated
OTRS server in the Amazon cloud, and the cost with EBS storage and an
Elastic IP address is less than $18 per month running 24/7.  The micro
instance performs well - no latency or lagginess issues at all in our
experience ( the old Windows helpdesk would not even be able to run on a
Micro instance).

One thing that has gotten easier is the mail configuration - We use Google
Apps as our email engine, and 3.0.11 was a snap to set up using Google
Apps.  Once I got database backups scripted then scheduled weekly system
snapshots we were set.

The new interface is very slick and also seems to display better in mobile
devices - I can use my Android phone to work tickets on the native OTRS
interface, but I am hoping to see a customized interface for Android like
the one that's already working on iPhone.

That's a snapshot of our experience - I'm interested to see if anyone else
is hosting OTRS in the Amazon cloud and to hear of what other platforms
people are using.  If anyone needs help getting OTRS running in the Amazon
cloud we'll be glad to answer questions as well.

I've worked with dozens of ticketing systems in over 20 years of IT work,
and nothing else even comes close to OTRS in terms of bang for buck.  Kudos
to the dev team and the community!

Rob