Our OTRS 3 server is hosted on an Amazon EC2 Micro EBS Instance with an
assigned Elastic IP.
The monthly cost for the instance is less than $18 and handles our ticket
volume very well.

Our regular email is serviced by Google Apps for Business (premium edition)
where the addresses are
emaila...@ourdomain.com

We use a Google Apps free edition domain for service accounts including the
main OTRS mailbox which is

helpd...@ourdomain.net

This is the primary address which OTRS uses, polling the mailbox every two
minutes using the OTRS fetch mail cronjob

Google Apps allows up to 30 alias email addresses per individual.  We have
aliases set up that correspond to queue names, e.g.
deskt...@ourdomain.net >> desktops queue
serv...@ourdomain.net >> servers queue
malw...@ourdomain.net >> malware queue

Even though all the messages go to the same helpd...@ourdomain.net mailbox
OTRS can see the to: field of each message and routes the messages
accordingly.  I should think that this same method would work for
technician emails as well, even though we're not using that method.  In
this way each of your technicians could have a proper email box in the
primary company domain for regular internal correspondence, and a helpdesk
email address in the service domain to give to customers to keep those
emails on the helpdesk.

Rob