Are you by any chance trying to log in after completing the web based installer?

From the documentation:

"Congratulations! Now the installation of OTRS is finished and you
should be able to work with the system (see Figure below). To log into
the web interface of OTRS, use the address
http://localhost/otrs/index.pl from your web browser. Log in as OTRS
administrator, using the username 'root@localhost' and the password
'root'. After that you can configure the system for your needs. "
--
Mike