Actually, what was meant here is the module
Kernel::Output::HTML::NotificationGeneric which you can use to display
messages in the agent interface. This can be for instance very useful
if you want to have a banner that says 'test environment' or
something.

You can configure it via the SysConfig option
Frontend::NotifyModule###900-Generic

I hope this helps!
--
Mike