Given that OTRS is written in Perl and expected to run under Apache,
the emphasis is clearly on a Linux/Unix based system. Yes it will run
on Windows but it's not what the code is targeted for, so I highly
doubt that the OTRS team will put much effort into improving MSSQL
support (unless, that is, you take out a support contract with OTRS
which would give you the ability to influence where development is
directed).

From what I can tell alot of the code is hardcoded SQL, in order to
use DBD::MSSQL (which might give you a speed boost, emphasis on
/might/) they would need to rework the interface to the database
through some abstraction layer so in theory any database could be
used, but that will add it's own overheads into the processing.

Just my 2p/2ยข

Steve