First you create 3 groups (g_software, g_hardware, g_other) and then 3
queues (q_software, q_hardware, q_other), assigning each queue to its
corresponding group (q_software to g_software, etc.).

Now create agents and assign them to groups according to your needs. One
agent can be in many groups, no problem.

When customers post tickets, they must choose the queue where the ticket is
assigned. This acts like a category for you.

You don't setup separate customers for each category. I assume the ticket
field "Type" threw you off. That is designed for situations where you have
to categorize tickets independently of the queue they're in. This doesn't
seem to be your case.

/bogdan