I was messing around with scheduling work orders. Am I correct that there can be no direct connection between work orders and tickets?

I think the order of operations I'd be looking for is something like:
Trouble report from customer -> create new ticket -> remote troubleshooting -> schedule service call -> field tech rolls out and makes repair -> update and close ticket.

It seems like there's not any connection between the ticket and the work order though. I'm also very unclear on the purpose and meaning of "Changes". What is a change supposed to represent, and why would I want one before making a work order? Wouldn't you want to just attach a work order to a ticket?

I think there is something fundamental about OTRS that I don't understand.