I should have benchmarked it before and after, but it seems faster after
clearing the OTRS cache (upgraded to 3.3.8) and installed FastCGI.  Of course
this is not scientific at all because, again, I did not do any benchmarks.

One thing to note.  When I use the F12 developer tools, the pages are telling
the browser to not cache previous pages.  This will impact performance, but
from a functional standpoint it is the right thing to do.

My recommendation is for users to run the Support Assessment module on the
admin page and see what tweaks can be done.  It does a really decent job at
reporting on your system and telling you where improvements might be made.  For
example, it checked the following on my web server.

 *   Check if the system uses Apache::DBI.
Apache::DBI

 *   OK Check if the system uses mod_deflate.
mod_deflate is enabled.

 *   OK Check if the system uses mod_headers.
mod_headers is enabled.

 *   OK Check if the system uses Apache::Reload/Apache2::Reload.
Apache2::Reload

 *   OK Display web server version.
You are running Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu).

 *   OK Check for CGI Accelerator.