Am 07.05.2015 um 18:17 schrieb David Boyes:
> I also think you'll find that your backup load is much smaller with
> attachments outside the database -- every time you change the
> database, the whole file has to get dumped (unless you have a fairly
> smart backup system and are doing table-level backups from inside the
> database).

That's a good point, sure. You only must make sure that the backup intervals of the database and the filesystem are similar to get a consistent system from recovery.

> Keep in mind that the attachments are referenced only when opened.
> It's just opening an opaque object reference, so I don't see what
> consistency guarantees (other than the correct file gets opened when
> clicked on) you need. The object exists, or it doesn't.

I mainly want to make sure that no stale files (files which have no corresponding tickets in the database) accumulate over time. But you're right, as tickets and articles are usually not deleted in OTRS (or cannot even be deleted by users) that should be no problem.

-- Christoph