On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, Bret Clark via Outages wrote:

According to Level3, there was a MAJOR generator explosion that took out several floors of a building in LA.

http://www.wdam.com/story/29849143/underground-explosion-at-los-angeles-high-rise-injures-four

They believe that this has potentially affected a large number of ISPs in the area. Outages are reported in other states including as far as Colorado. Please expect an extended outage going forward.

Interesting.

CenturyLink has told me that there was some sort of commerical power failure at one of their sites, and they didn't have any generators on-site. They were looking to restore power, and I believe they're back on commerical power, but we're still troubleshooting circuits that haven't come back up. It can't be a coincidence, but given that they say they have power back I'm not sure what really happened.

--
                               John A. Kilpatrick
j...@hypergeek.net                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/