OS X Messages.app supports/accesses Hangouts via Jabber protocol.  The
"official" Hangouts app(s) no longer do that though. Not sure how the various
web interfaces work.  Presumably their Jabber gateway(s) is/are still up but
everything else is borked... logical explanation for your situation at least.

Thank you,
Braden McGrath
Sr. IT Systems Engineer
Saber Healthcare Group

NOTICE: This email may contain PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information and is
intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying of this email or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly prohibited. You
may be subject to penalties under law for any improper use or further
disclosure of any Protected Health Information in this email. If you have
received this email in error, please delete it and immediately notify the
sender of this email by reply mail. Thank you.     [SHG-PHI-TXT]