On 6/14/21 8:58 AM, Jay R. Ashworth via Outages wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Huff via Outages" <outages@outages.org>
Of course.

Like I stated in the original email, we don’t use NIST for time sync. We
actually have a GPS and a PTP feed.

WE MUST, HOWEVER, VALIDATE OUR SYSTEM TIMES VERSUS THE INTERNET NIST SERVERS VIA
FINRA REGULATIONS

Yes, it is stupid

No, it isn’t a good idea

In prior job, I did work for a datacenter.  Datacenter had both GPS and NTP.  We monitored drift.  We saw drift.  At first, I was dumbfounded that our NTP pool could be drifting.  Then I traced it back.  Found out that there was a misconfiguration on the GPS Receiver side instead.

Lesson learned: run both, track both, use each to confirm the other.  Set one as priority over the other.

FINRA specifically state that we MUST run a comparison and log any differences
between our current time and Internet NIST servers. I have challenged them on
this a number of times, but with no luck.

if we don’t want to get fined and prevented from trading, we have to follow
FINRA regulations..