On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Jiri Benc <jb...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 16:35:59 -0800, Pravin Shelar wrote:
>> In compat mode, OVS tunnel devices are not used in same way as LWT,
>> since OVS do support kernel version that does not have core LWT
>> support. Therefore we have to use legacy vport APIs to create these
>> ports.
>
> I see. Yes, that's unfortunate.
>
>> There might be a way to configure the device, once it is
>> created, using rtnetlink API but would complicate the code. So I think
>> in such cases like GPE we could to add code to the legacy code.
>
> Could we just support the newest shiniest features only with lwtunnel
> capable kernel? Kernel 4.3 is out for more than a year already, that's
> a long time. And several more months will pass before this is available
> in an Open vSwitch release.

OVS out of tree kernel module is using compat tunnel code upto kernel
4.5 kernel even thought LWT is available in these kernels. This is due
to missing features on these kernel which are backported to OVS
module. In future we could bump up requirements of kernel again.
Therefore I think we could add compat code for GPE given it is not
that complicated.