Hello,

I have just started working on open flow and I appreciate if you could
possibly help me with your advice.

My project is about SDN and I should extend the Open-flow protocol in order
to send a parameter (just a number) from controller to the switch do some
calculation and return the result to the controller.

I think there can be two ways to address this problem. Either by abusing
the unused filed or making a new type of message. The controller is Ryu and
switches are open virtual switch.

I have made a  message type which is send from Ryu controller to open
virtual switch but the virtual switch does not recognize it because I do
not know where I should parse the message in switch side. I do not know in
which libraries in open flow or open virtual switch I should  parse.

Do you know how to extend the protocol to add a message type?

If you decide to use the already existing field of openflow to send the
parameter then which field do you recommend and how will you do this
implementation ?

BR,
Sadegh