On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 12:57:43PM +0000, Balazs Nemeth wrote:
> Currently the deb package and service name is 'openvswitch-switch' on Ubuntu
> according to debian/rules, but the rpm package and service name is
> 'openvswitch' on Red Hat according to rhel/openvswitch.spec.in.
> Why is this difference exist? Is it possible to use 'openvswitch-switch' on
> every existing platform? It would be much easier to handle e.g. the
> documentation with unified service name.

I *think* that I was the original packager in both cases.  The likely
reason is that, in my perception, Debian tends to break packages up in
many small chunks, whereas Red Hat tends to use more monolithic
packaging.  The result is that the Debian packaging for OVS has
something like 11 packages (ignoring OVN) whereas Red Hat has only a few
(originally just one or two, I think, although maybe it's been divided
up a bit now).  In each case, the service was named after the package
that actually provided the switch functionality: on Debian, this was the
openvswitch-switch package, on Red Hat, this was the openvswitch
package.

Whether this is good or desirable, I don't know.