What are the use case(s) of truncate “outside” of sampling/mirroring ?
The use of truncation in the context of sampling/mirroring is well known.

On 5/10/17, 7:56 AM, "ovs-dev-boun...@openvswitch.org on behalf of William Tu"
<ovs-dev-boun...@openvswitch.org on behalf of u9012...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > It may be cleaner if we add a new trunc action for the datapath, say
    > trunc2  that applies
    > to all outputs within the clone.
    >
    > So the translation will look like: clone(trunc2, native tunnel
    > translation). Would this
    > approach work?

    Or how about we apply actual packet truncation when clone action
    follows truncate action?
    Now we apply actual packet truncation when:
    actions=trunc, output
    actions=trunc, tunnel_push
    actions=trunc, sample

    If we add clone as another truncate target, then
    actions = trunc(100), clone(tnl(...)),  actionX,
    Inside clone will see packet of size 100, and actionX sees original
    size. Then I think we don't need to introduce trunc2?

    Regards,
    William

    >> Without the "Avoid recirculation" patch we have two datapath flows,
because the
    >> packet is recirculated. At the end of the first flow the packet size is
changed
    >> and the packet with modified size enters the OF pipeline again.
    >>
    >> What is the reason not to change packet size when truncate action is
applied?

    > One of the reasons could be that we introduced trunc before clone.
Otherwise, a